The Palace of HAZU
Friedrich Schmidt, 1877 - 1980, built in the forms of Italian Renaissance, adepted to new technical conditions and functional space requirements.
The Croatian Academy of Arts and Sciences the highest institution devoted to science and art in Croatia, is housed in a NeoRenaissance palace that was built exactly for this purpose in 1880. It is the only palace (in the real sense of the word) in Zagreb.
Towards the back of the entrance hall is the Baška Tablet, one of the oldest stone inscriptions written in the Croatian language. Dating from the turn of the 12th century, the inscription is written in Glagolitic, the highly decorative script used in Croatia before Roman letters became more widespread.
Upstairs is the Strossmayer Gallery of Old Masters, displaying works of art from the 15th to the 19th century. Based on the private collection of the Academy’s founder, Bishop J. J. Strossmayer, the gallery includes works attributed to Tintoretto, Veronese, El Greco and many more. One should not miss the unforgettable Baroque painting “Abraham sacrifices Isaac” by Federiko Benković.