The Museum was founded in 1880, the intention being to protect works of art and craft against the new predominance of industrial products. With its 160,000 exhibits, the Museum is a national-level museum for artistic production and the history of material culture in Croatia. The holdings are classified into 19 diverse museum collections: furnishing, metal, painting, sculpture, clocks, photography and photographic equipment, musical instruments, graphic design, ivory, printing and bookbinding, printed and painted leather, devotional items, smoking accessories and toys. The following donations are very important: Penić, Zaplaz, Ibler, Akačić, Ulrich, Pichler, Krizman, Marić, Matković-Majer and Vinski. The Museum has an important library with more than 50,000 titles. The permanent exhibition was brought up to date in 1995 with commentaries on the exhibits in the form of legends, videos and computer installations. The new concept of the permanent exhibition is a reflection of the system and scope of the museum stocks. The Museum regularly organizes cultural and historical, problem and thematic exhibitions, expert meetings, educational playrooms and workshops, and deals with the restoration of work of art.