The Museum was established in 1907 by the Association of the Braca Hrvatskog Zmaja. It is located in a restored monumental complex (Popov toranj, the Observatory, Zakmardi Granary) of the former Convent of the Poor Clares, of 1650. The Museum deals with topics from the cultural, artistic, economic and political history of the city in a span from Roman finds until the modern period. The holdings comprise 75,000 items arranged systematically into collections of artistic and use objects characteristic of the city and its history. Since 1991. the Museum has had an a archeological collection with items found in research in the locality of the Museum. The permanent exhibition (more than 2,500 exhibits) gives a portrait of Zagreb through 45 topics. Characteristic themes and events from the time of the prehistoric Hallstattan settlement on Gric Hill of the 7th century BC to the visit of Pope John Paul (1994) to Zagreb and the victorious close of the Homeland War in 1995 are depicted in an interesting and historically documentary manner. As part of the permanent exhibition, but as independent units, the collection of musical automata of Ivan Gerersdorfer and the Tilla Durieux collection of artworks are also on show.