The HDLU building was put up in 1938 according to a design by Croatian sculptor with a world-wide reputation, Ivan Mestrovic. This is a work of architecture of exceptional value in Croatian and European architectural history. It is considered the first museum of the circular type in the world. Over time, the functions of the building have changed: from 1938 to 1941 it was an exhibition space; 1941 - 1945 a mosque; 1945 - 1949 a pavilion; 1949 - 1990 a museum. Since 1990 the edifice has again hosted exhibitions of a prestigious nature and also the HDLU multicultural centre. Major exhibitions of artists, solo and collection exhibitions are put on, as well as international exhibitions. Also working in the building is the Extended Media Gallery, in which young artists with projectors of an unconventional artistic form of expression are promoted.