The Gallery, together with the neo-Renaissance palace in which it is located, opened in 1884. Bishop Josip Juraj Strossmayer, who donated his art collection to the Croatian people, founded in the Museum in 1868. The holdings today consist of some 4,000 paintings, sculptures, drawings and objects from the Gothic until modern art. Most represented are the Italian masters (Sasetta, Bellini, Carpaccio, Abertinelli, Beato Angelico and others), then the French and Spanish masters, the masters of Northern Europe (J. W. de Cock, J. de Patenier, J. A. Grosz and others) and Croatian artists whose works are known beyond the borders of the country (Medulić, Benković, Dobričević, Bukovac). The Museum has been enriched by a number of gifts: the Auder Collection, the Csikos Collection, the Svečnjak Collection, the Šebalj Collection, the Sulentić Collection and the Uzorinac Collection. It also has a dedicated library with some 15,000 titles. The permanent exhibitions is made up of cca 400 exhibits, making a review of European art from the end of the 14th to the beginning of the 20th century. Occasionally, the Gallery organizes thematic exhibitions, expert groups and playrooms/workshops.