The Zagreb Museum of Contemporary Art was founded in 1954 with the aim of following, documenting, and promoting events, styles, and phenomena in contemporary art. Since its very beginnings, its goal has been to assemble a relevant collection and to operate in accordance with modern principles of museology, catering to the needs of our times.
At first it was located in Kulmer Palace in the Zagreb’s historical centre. In 2003, the construction of a new museum building, designed by architect Igor Franić, began. Referring to the tradition of functionalist architecture, Igor Franić planned a building that would stand on a major traffic route which is an important link between Zagreb’s historical centre and its new districts across the Sava River. The northern side of the building, overlooking the city park, is intended to host open-air exhibitions. The ground level is entirely dedicated to various facilities for visitors, including rooms for workshops in the visual arts, a library with a reading room, a smaller exhibition room, a multimedia auditorium, a museum shop, and a restaurant.
The exhibition rooms are located on three levels, and their variety promotes a flexible relationship between the permanent collection and the rooms for temporary exhibitions, offering various possibilities for realizing even the most demanding exhibition projects.
The collections of the museum include some twelve thousand contemporary artworks, created by Croatian and international artists between 1950 and the present day.
The Museum includes the following collections: Drawings, Prints, Posters, and Works on Paper; Film and Video; Photography; Media Art; Sculpture and Painting.